Royal Mail, the postal service and courier company in the United Kingdom, has released a collection of 8 postal stamps. These stamps show iconic games from the 80’s and 90’s developed in the UK.
The Royal Mail website says the following about the stamps.
An action-packed collection celebrating classic UK-designed video games that put the ‘joy’ in ‘joystick’. A fun set of Stamps and Collectibles to get your thumbs twitching.
Presentation Pack contains all eight Special Stamps and the Tomb Raider Miniature Sheet.
The games featured on the stamps are
- Elite (1984) – BBC Micro and Acorn Electron
- Dizzy (1987) – ZX Spectrum
- Populous (1989) – Commodore Amiga
- Lemmings (1991) – Commodore Amiga
- Micro Machines (1991) – Sega Mega Drive/Genesis
- Sensible Soccer (1992) – Commodore Amiga
- Wipeout (1995) – Sony PlayStation
- Worms (1995) – Commodore Amiga
There is also a miniature sheet featuring Lara Croft and the Tomb Raider series of games.
- Atlantean Scion – Tomb Raider (1996)
- Ora Dagger – Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft (1998)
- Philosopher’s Stone – Tomb Raider Chronicles (2000)
- Ceremonial Dagger – Tomb Raider (2013)
All of the games were developed in the UK, so you wont see titles like Pac Man, Pong or Space Invaders. Several posts on Twitter are asking why other iconic games like Jet Set Willy, Manic Miner and Llamatron are not included. I’m sure the Post Office had many titles to choose from and had to pick an handful, or there were licensing issues with other titles.
You can pre-order your Video Games Presentation Pack from here : Video Games Presentation Pack